We recognize that Evergreen would not exist without a solid platform of functions that are critical to developing and maintaining business operations in China and the United States. We are blessed to have a team of Evergreeners who are experts in these areas and who faithfully serve with excellence in management, personnel, accounting and finance, communications, donor relations, and legal compliance. When we were asked to rank the importance of these functions on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being “unnecessary” and 10 being “critical,” our answers were unanimously a 10. In other words, the Evergreeners in these offices legitimize the business of Evergreen, allowing us to do our work in China.
Evergreen International Office
Evergreen’s International Office is in Taiyuan, the capital city of Shanxi Province, China. All administrative aspects necessary to running Shanxi Evergreen Service are handled through this office, located in the Taiyuan Training Center (TTC). Created in 2005 as the international center for Evergreen operations, the TTC houses Evergreen professionals who are responsible for all the critical business, financial, and legal functions necessary to maintain a business in China with the highest integrity. The TTC also serves as a meeting place for community activities; TTC’s meeting rooms are used for Evergreen to connect with government officials and business leaders, as well as for weekly studies, English classes for Chinese professionals, Chinese language school for Evergreen members, and training areas for special programs such as social work and leadership. Another key function of the TTC is serving as a visitors’ center. Visitors can walk the Evergreen history hall where they can see photos of Peter Torjesen and other pieces of Evergreen’s past, and can browse displays of Evergreen hand-cut cards.
Evergreen North American Office
On the other side of the world, Evergreen’s North American Office is based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The International Office and the North American Office work in tandem to ensure:
- Evergreen is in compliance with the highest standards of business governance and integrity.
- Accurate accountability of all funds coming in from many countries, individuals, seconding organizations, churches, and businesses.
- Our team members on the field receive their funds on a timely basis to care for themselves and their families.
- Donations for special projects get delineated appropriately and reach their destinations.
- News and publications about our projects in China to reach you in a timely manner with accurate information.
- We have in place the systems, procedures, and structures that enable us to respond immediately to needs or requests, whether local or international.
- Timely follow-up for new and potential Evergreen candidates.
The best part is that statistics show we are NOT top heavy—these people are able to perform these functions at an incredibly small percentage of our annual budget! Therefore, it is with gratitude that we recognize these key team members and the valuable services they perform with such excellence.
Shanxi Evergreen International School (SEIS)
SEIS was created to help meet the educational needs of the families of Evergreen, providing a quality education with integrated Biblical principles for the children of Evergreen members. This school offers Evergreen families a strong local schooling option for their children, enabling Evergreen members to stay on the field and focus on their work without worrying about educational needs or exorbitant schooling costs.
SEIS caters to children from kindergarten to grade eight, and provides support and resources to high school students who are doing independent study. Classes are taught in English based on an American curriculum. All students are required to study Mandarin, which is taught by a local Chinese language teacher.
SEIS strives to:
- prepare students mentally, socially, physically, emotionally, and spiritually to live godly lives in Chinese and home-country societies,
- equip students to interact comfortably with Chinese people, and
- aid students in making a smooth transition to their home country and higher education.